This is not a race, but a challenge against the clock for charity and prizes. You ride your bike on real roads, but scored by your Strava result at the end of the event window. This course uses part of the popular airport loop, has no left turns and uses the traffic circle for 10 awesome miles of time trial fun out on real roads - with so many events going virtual - this is a real ride on real roads with real prizes. You can sign up for $10, make an additional donation on the Unknown Cycling website, or sign up and not ride to donate. But what is the fun in that?
Ride the course alone at your convenience Aug 10-16, 2020.
Podium Awards for the following challenge categories:
18 Payouts - Cash Guaranteed!!!
Overall Male/Female $50/20/10 cash+prizes+available money
Overall Eddy Merckx Male/Female $50/20/10 cash+prizes+available money
Masters 45+ Male/Female $50/20/10 cash+prizes+available money
This is the “Tri Unknown 10mi TT” segment that you need to ride to be counted:
Can appear under hidden segments - Show Hidden Segments then click the “Unhide” button
To Be Eligible:
- Make a registration donation $10 and sign up here
- Sign the Unknown Bike & Brew waiver here
- Ride the segment between Aug 10-16 and upload to Strava by 11:59 PM Aug 16, 2020
- You must title your ride on Strava
"Unknown TT Challenge" for a time trial bike or
"Unknown TT Challenge EM" if you rode a road bike Eddy Merckx style
- This Challenge is not a race and is a non-sanctioned event with no affiliation to USA Cycling or any other organization but a challenge ride against the clock on your own at your convenience.
- Maintain social distance at all times and do not gather; this ride was designed for you to enter and exit the course alone; please do so.
- NO eBikes, drafting, moto-pacing, or cheating.
NO e-, mechanical-, or biological- doping of any kind.
- Scoring will be done by Strava and is considered final; you can ride the course multiple times we’ll take your best time.
- Roads are open to cars/truck so follow traffic laws and rules of the road at all times.
- Rolling starts are allowed, and recommended, into the segment start point.
- There are no course marshals, escorts, or officials and the honor system is used for all aspects of this Challenge.
- Please sign the Unknown Bike & Brew waiver if you have not done so for 2020.
- You agree to not hold responsible the volunteers, Unknown Brewing, Over the Edge Cycling Club. All riding is done at the rider’s own risk.
- Once awarded, Challenge prizes must be claimed within 15 days at Unknown Brewing Company 1327 S Mint Street Charlotte, NC.
Q. Where do I park?
A. You should park at Unknown Brewery 1327 S Mint Street and warm up on the ride from S Mint Street to West Blvd to the start. You can also park anywhere and ride to the start or you can park at the start using the lot right next to the start (see map below park in P area ONLY at 4800 West Blvd Charlotte NC). Be careful to allow your Garmin to make sure you start prior to the start line when you intend to start. Keep in mind your GPS can start you on the segment anywhere there are green dots.
Q. What is Eddy Merckx?
A. Eddy Merck time trial format for a TT where a standard road/gravel bike is used. In this way more people can participate without special, and sometimes expensive, specialized time trial aero equipment. So sign up and use your regular bike.
Q. Who do I contact with questions?
Q. I was on the course and was slowed down by a car, traffic light (there's only one at right turn) , bird, plane, whatever. What do I do?
A. Poo poo happens - you're a cyclist; be safe. You can ride the course more than once.start again now or before the deadline. You choose. Or just keep going.... Persevere.
Q. How do you register more than one person?
A. Check out with extra Qty and then email email@example.com with the names of the additional rider. Make sure they also complete the other requirements listed above.
Q. I am just a beginner, why should I do this?
A. As a beginner you should be doing this. The 10 mile TT is a classic way to keep track of training and fitness growth. By riding the course you will get a good baseline for your training. Each month you can ride the course again to see how much progress you have made. Also, TTs are way more technical and challenging than you think and making improvements to your bike and technique will keep you engaged in the sport - like perfecting a golf swing.
Q. Who do I contact with questions?
Q. What charities does this ride support?
A. Over the Edge Cycling Club is a 501c3 so the $10 fee is going to a charity that supports a range of cycling programs and fundraising in the Charlotte area. But we are also taking proceeds from this event and giving them directly to the Bike MS September event and the Alzheimer's Association via the David Moore Foundation. The amount depends on participation so please encourage others to join the Challenge. More info on this website. If you have any questions, let us know.at firstname.lastname@example.org